Observation to Abstraction 2017-18
Six workshops, over two terms, offer six different approaches to 'loosening up' in watercolour as an abstract, or abstracting, process in itself. Each workshop is repeated for different groups on different days.
Friday group 1 / Term 1 dates (sold out):
22 Sept / 20 Oct / third workshop 24 Nov
To participate, you need to book a place in one of the groups for either or both terms. You don't have to book the same group for both terms, though many do. New people regularly join returning Observation to Abstraction students, for further adventures in abstract painting.
• Workshops run 10am-4pm, in a warm, light, professional artist's studio. Easy parking right outside.
• The term fee of £195 includes all materials and tea/coffee. You only need to bring your apron and lunch.
• This year, take your work towards looser, freer painting, and in a more contemporary or abstract direction with experimental, playful, exercises in watercolour, sometimes drawing and mixed media.
• Learn to handle the practical, technical, experimental and mental aspects of loosening up and painting through the barriers that can make watercolour tight, under-confident, or over-worked.
• We work from still life, often referring to 20-21C painters, but ideas are adaptable for any subject matter afterwards and to your personal aims.
• Small groups (max. 5) allow plenty of individual feedback and support.
• All levels of painting experience welcome: beginners, rusty returners, and more experienced painters.
• Wherever you're starting from, you only need enthusiasm to try new methods and experiment at the boundaries of what you already know, to develop or mature your painting. Homework consolidates your learning in between sessions.
• Professional, experienced artist-tutor, skilled in de-mystifying painting and drawing processes.
• Friendly, supportive and constructive environment.
• If you can't attend one of the days, it's often possible to either swap with someone in another group or transfer to a different day where space allows. The flexibility to swap days occasionally is appreciated by participants. But it's not guaranteed, in case no-one else can swap or there is no suitable free place.
• One-off 'taster' days are sometimes available (£65) if you can't do a term.